Well, I for one can’t really judge it after only one issue, but I’m not very convinced of the story. There are several downsides I noticed, but what really threw me off was the use of every cliché that could possibly come to mind given that the hero of the series is a muslim and has (who would have thought) muslim parents:
- Kamala is a geek/nerd. She likes the smell of bacon, writes fanfiction of Marvel superheros and is an outsider at ther school because of her religion/ethnic background.
- Her schoolmates use her and her friend’s religious beliefs to ridicule them.
- Kamala’s brother is a very devoted muslim, praying all the time. He is ridiculed for this by his own family.
- Her father is the family’s patriarch.
- Kamala believes that she would be treated differently by her parents if she were a boy. (Compare previous point.)
- Possible love interest in the not-muslim and not-Pakistani figure of Bruno.
Come on. Isn’t this just a bit too much?